or Cabbage Dumplings
1 ½lb cabbage
2 tbs butter
2 tbs lard
2 cups flour sifted
1 tbs sugar
½ grated Swiss or Ementaler cheese
pinch of black pepper
- Grate the cabbage and place in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and let sit for an hour.
- Mix the butter and flour well. Then add salt, egg and enough water to make a soft dough.
- Roll out dough to 1/2″ on well floured surface.
- Heat lard in pan and brown the sugar. Squeeze cabbage dry and add to pan and sauté until browned about 20-25 minutes. Let cool a bit then spread on the flattened dough. Add some pepper. Take the wide side of the dough and roll it up. Now cut 2″ sections off the dough and roll into balls. Take a large pot and boil some salted water. When water boils hard drop a few dumpling in at a time making sure you don’t crowd them. After the dumplings surface cook them for 3 or 4 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking dish.
- Top the dumplings with the Swiss cheese and heat in oven till the cheese is melted.