One of my favourite recipes is my one for aubergine lasagne, and today I decided to make it in a diet-friendly way. Swapping the cheese sauce with that for a Slimming World macaroni cheese I made a rather yummy, reasonably syn-free Tuesday meal.
3 medium aubergines, sliced
2 large onions, finely chopped
2x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
5ml/1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
6 sheets no pre-cook lasagne
salt and black pepper
For the cheese sauce:
2 level tbsp cornflour
284ml/½pt skimmed milk
142g/5oz fat free natural fromage frais
1 level tsp Dijon mustard
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper
57g/2oz reduced fat Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Layer the sliced aubergine in a colander, sprinkling lightly with salt between each layer. Leave to stand for 1 hour, then rinse and pat dry.
- Grill the aubergines with a little frylight for about 5 minutes each side.
- Fry the onions for 5 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes, herbs, garlic and seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce, blend the cornflour with a little milk. Heat the remaining milk and bring to the boil. Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and beat in the fromage frais, mustard and nutmeg with a wooden spoon. Season to taste. Stir most of the grated cheese into the sauce, reserving a little for the topping.
- Arrange the aubergines in the base of an ovenproof dish, spoon over half the tomato sauce. Arrange 3 layers of lasagne on top. Repeat with second layer. Add a third layer if desired.
- Spoon over the cheese sauce, cover an bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid for the last ten minutes to brown the crust. Serve hot with a mixed salad.
This dish freezes well; cook for only 20 minutes, cool, then freeze. Reheat at 170ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 3 for 20 minutes; increase the temperature to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6 for 10 minutes to brown the top.